No Plea Deals for Co-defendants in Evrard Case
By WestKyStar Staff
PADUCAH, KY - The CaSondra Evrard murder trial will take place as scheduled on Sept. 10 after none of the defendants decided to accept any plea deals in the case Friday.

McCracken County Judge Craig Clymer originally gave Mark and Jamie Taylor and their daughter, Jasmine Taylor, until Feb. 8 to negotiate any deals with prosecutors, saying a deadline was necessary because it will take months to prepare for trial, according to The Paducah Sun.

Friday was the deadline, and Clymer gave attorney Len Ogden until 2:30 pm to continue taking to prosecutors because he thought he was close to reaching a deal for Jamie Taylor.

Clymer also agreed to an order to remove the ankle monitor that co-defendant Brandi Marshall has been wearing until her sentencing, which is set to take place after the Taylors’ trial ends. Marshall is Mark Taylor’s niece.

Marshall’s attorney, Lucien Cisney, said Marshall has complied with every condition the court issued for her to be released on bail, including living with her grandmother, daily phone calls to check in with a court-ordered supervisor and random drug tests. Cisney says Marshall didn’t have any problems either when the court allowed her to be off the ankle monitor for two weeks in November for the delivery of her daughter.

Cisney also said the main reason she wanted the monitor to come off was the fact that it cost Marshall $400 a month for it.

Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Raymond McGee says Marshall cooperated while being interviewed by police, but he objected to the ankle monitor coming off, the paper reported.

Marshall pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnapping and perjury Aug. 26. Prosecutors recommended a seven-year sentence in exchange for her truthful testimony against the remaining defendants.

Her fiancé, Zachary Finley, sister, Destini Marshall and mother, Denise Taylor Marshall, also accepted plea deals in return for their testimony and reduced sentences.

The 21-year-old Evrard, of Lone Oak, disappeared Dec. 10, 2010, after saying she was going to the Taylors’ home for an ice cream celebration for Jasmine Taylor, who police have said was her friend.

McCracken County Sheriff Jon Hayden found Evrard’s body along the bank of Massac Creek, not far from the Taylors’ home, two days later.

Investigators said they found blood in and around the Taylor home and partially burned shoes matching the description of those Evrard was wearing in a burn pile in the backyard.

Mark and Jamie Taylor could face the death penalty, life without parole or life without parole for 25 years if convicted of murder, kidnapping and tampering with evidence charges.

Jasmine Taylor faces 20 to 50 years or life in prison, with parole eligibility in 20 years, if convicted of murder and kidnapping.

Published 08:37 AM, Saturday Feb. 25, 2012
Updated 06:09 AM, Monday Feb. 27, 2012

Please login to leave a comment.
  • View Comment
    View Comments