Hall Found Guilty in Euthanasia Case
By Bill Hughes
PADUCAH, KY - Judge Tony Kitchen presided over McCracken District Court Friday in the combined trial of Delana Hall and Beau Anderson.

A jury of three men and three women reached a guilty verdict on all ten counts of for Hall, who was charged with 10 counts of euthanizing animals without being licensed by the state. They sentenced her to 60 days in jail and a fine of $2,500. However, after her attorney, Jeremy Ian Smith, asked for probation, Judge Kitchen denied that request, but ruled that the fines could run concurrently, for a total of $250.

Anderson's attorney, Kevin Olson, reached a plea deal with Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Todd Jones, where Anderson pled guilty to falsifying business records, which carried a sentence of seven days in jail and a fine of $100. As a result, the charge of complicity to forgery against Hall was dropped.

Both Anderson and Hall worked at the McCracken County Humane Society in the fall of 2011, when fellow employee Jeremiah Robertson made recordings of euthanizations, and conversations with Hall about the procedures. Those recordings were eventually brought to WKYX, WestKentuckyStar, and the Sheriff's Department in an attempt to correct problems Robertson saw at work.

McCracken County Sheriff's Detective Matt Carter testified that he interviewed Hall after charges were filed, and recordings were played in which she admitted she was not certified to perform the procedures. Hall also told Carter that she had euthanized 10-15 cats in her 23 years of employment.

Robertson testified that on one Saturday when Anderson wasn't working, he noticed several dead cats in a bag, and confronted Hall. She told him she "wouldn't do it again." Hall was euthanizing the animals by injecting a drug into their abdomens with a syringe.

On another occasion, Robertson noticed some extra papers in the euthanasia log book in Hall's handwriting, and took pictures of them. They detailed doses of euthanasia drugs and weights of cats. The next time he saw those papers, Anderson was copying the information from them into the logbook which requires his signature.

Following the verdict, Robertson said the job is 'half done', implying that more justice could be served during Anderson's trial on cruelty to animal charges September 28. Anderson is accused of illegally euthanizing numerous animals by using a 'heart-stick method' without sedating them first.

Hall still works at the Humane Society, and so does Robertson. Whistle-blower laws have protected his job.

Published 03:20 PM, Friday Aug. 03, 2012
Updated 04:52 PM, Friday Dec. 14, 2012

Please login to leave a comment.
  • View Comment
    View (20) Comments